Stress is one of the most common complaints in today's society, according to the American Psychological Association. Money and work are the two largest sources of stress for Americans, followed by the economy, family responsibilities, and personal health concerns. Chronic stress has been associated with increased susceptibility to viral, bacterial and fungal infections, and numerous studies have demonstrated the role stress plays in accelerating aging.
Unfortunately, the methods many people use to cope with stress using drugs or alcohol, or eating starchy foods not only don’t work, but generally increase stress on the body and have long-term adverse effects.
So how do you start to correct your own response to the inevitable stresses of daily life?
Dr. Hyla Cass designed CALM Natural Mind formula using seven proven ingredients shown to relax both mind and body. In addition to stabilizing moods, CALM also aids in relieving stress without side effects, impairment, drowsiness, or loss of judgment.
- L-Theanine The active substance in one of the oldest, calming mood-stabilizers (green tea from China), theanine can increase your ability to focus, concentrate, learn, and remember while providing a whole-body sense of “alert relaxation” and well-being (often described as being akin to a massage or hot bath). Theanine increases alpha-wave activity in the brain the brain state attained through meditation thereby shutting off the “worry” impulse.
- GABA Reduced levels of GABA in the brain and nervous system are linked to anxiety, tension, and insomnia. In fact, prescription tranquilizers like Valium and Xanax work by increasing your system’s response to GABA. GABA is an important neurotransmitter (chemical messenger) that helps to regulate brain and nerve cell function, producing a calming and focusing effect. GABA also protects the nervous system against overload which can lead to over-excitement or impulsive lapses in judgment.
- L-Taurine - L-Taurine is an amino acid that can calm and stabilize your mind much like GABA. By retarding the release of adrenaline, taurine also protects you from the fight-or-flight response and post-stress anxiety. Because taurine is found in protein-rich organ meats, vegetarians are especially at risk for taurine deficiency.
- L-Glutamine - L-Glutamine is used directly by the brain as fuel as well as to build and balance GABA. It has been shown to enhance both mental performance and memory. Glutamine can also be used for nearly instantly relief of cravings for sugar, stimulants, or inebriants such as alcohol. Since dips in blood sugar are one of the causes of anxiety, the addition of this amino acid keeps levels balanced, and your mood balanced.
- Hops: Hops has been used for centuries as a mild sedative and sleeping aid. The herb is primarily used to calm nerves and induce sleep, usually in combination with other herbal sedatives such as passionflower, valerian, and skullcap. Its sedative action works directly on the central nervous system-- think happy snoozing!
- Passionflower: Passionflower has a mild sedative effect that has been well substantiated in numerous animal and human studies. The herb encourages a deep, restful, and uninterrupted sleep, with no side effects. Passionflower has been commonly used in the treatment of concentration problems in schoolchildren and as a sedative for the elderly.
- Lemon Balm: Lemon balm is used to counter mental fatigue and low mood.
CALM Natural Mind by Hyla Cass, MD, is a twice-a-day natural nutrient “shield” designed to protect both mind and body from the harmful effects of daily stress. CALM Natural Mind delivers a natural blend of ingredients proven to safely enhance mood and sharpen mental acuity, while supporting inner calm and balance. CALM can also aid in stabilizing moods and relieving stress without side effects, impairment, drowsiness, or loss of judgment.